Schooling your horse to SlowFeeding.
All horses can learn to be comfortable eating through SlowFeeding nets. It usually takes 5 minutes, but it can take a month depending on external circumstances. Horses that have been fed servings usually suffer from feeding stress caused by the trauma in running out of food, which is completely unnatural and very harmful for a horse.
The first couple of days your horse is presented to a SlowFeeding net make sure he is not hungry or frustrated. This is easily done by feeding him the same way you did before and adding the full net as a bonus. As soon as you see him eating from the net before the loose hay on is finished you can stop feeding loose hay.
SlowFeeding SMHN Original® is made from extra heavy-duty Polyester nets originally made for deep-sea trawling (not for badminton like other nets on the market) and they are very strong and durable. Polyester withstands both abrasion and UV-light much better than Nylon and polypropylene.
1-year limited warranty.
Because the SlowFeeding SMHN Original® net material is made of a very large number of completely individual fibers going diagonally over the net having defects following the rows of meshes are impossible since meshes in a row have absolutely nothing in common. This means that if 2 meshes in a row are broken it is very much more likely that the cause of the problem was external than that it would have had anything whatsoever to do with material quality.
That said, and understood, the only real warranty issue we have ever encountered, in the 10 years history of SlowFeeding SMHN Original®, are broken sewing twine. If this happens, which it very seldom does, it is because the needle has impaired the twine on the high-speed industrial sewing machine that was used on that particular net. We replace the needles regularly on all our sewing machines as a precaution but there is no way of knowing if an issue like this is building up faster than usual.
If the webbing comes loose due to broken sewing twine, it is covered by the warranty.
So, what about broken nets?
Since SlowFeeding SMHN Original® has a reputation of being of the highest quality on the market (we have only once in 10 years experienced an issue with the white net material) and we now have improved the quality even more.
The warranty now covers both quality issues and
HOLES CHEWED BY HORSES within the first year. (1 year on black nets, 2 years on white nets bought from Q3 2019.)
Nets can break because of 5 different reasons:
1. Horses that are new to SlowFeeding and don’t yet know how it works can, in frustration, chew on the polyester material (1). To avoid this it is important to follow the instructions above on “Schooling your horse to SlowFeeding”. If this happens it is temporary since horses that are familiar with SlowFeeding don’t eat polyester. It is very important to mend such holes immediately! Just take a zip tie or any piece of string and pull/tie the hole together. Don’t waste your time by trying to create new meshes since there are plenty of intact meshes around and we will repair the net by replacing broken parts for you on the warranty when the horse has become used to SlowFeeding and therefor stopped chewing on the net but it is important that you follow the instructions for reporting the issue when it occurs.
2. If the damage keeps going diagonally (4) (has happened ones in 10 years) it might be a mistake done in the production of the net material and the net will be replaced.
3. A hook on a halter or blanket gets stuck in the net and the horse pulls it loose breaking a mesh (2). This is rare and only beaks a single mesh. Torn meshes are not covered by the warranty.
4. Human error. Tractors are good at breaking nets and they can cause any size holes. Looks like (2) but usually, more than 1 mesh is broken following the lines of the meshes. Torn meshes like this are not covered by the warranty.
5. A sharp tooth can cut a mesh (3). This is very rare, but I have seen it happen. It only cuts a single mesh. Cut meshes are not covered by the warranty.
1. Chewed 2. Torn
3. Cut 2. Defect
Be sure to follow the terms in detail because we are nice to nice people with bad luck.
SlowFeeding SMHN Original® nets can be machine washed in any temperature (or even boiled to be sterilized) but don’t do it to try to fool us that the net is new because we have been in this business for too long to be fooled that easily :-).